Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Grateful Servant

Sekhar was orphaned in his childhood itself.He was brought up by his uncle Krishna. Though he was very much affectionate towards Sekhar, his wife Rohini deteseted him from the very beginning. She burdened him with the entire household chores, and at the same time gave him the most frugal meals. As the years passed, the situation started deteriorating and Sekhar had to go without food on may days. Besides, he had to put up with verbal abuses from and physical torture by his aunt. Though in the presence of her husband, she pretended to take care of him, she did the contrary in his absence.Later, Krishna was aware of the ill-treatment meted out to his nephew in his absence, and he was furious with his wife. When he reprimanded her severly, Rohini retaliated:"Don't accuse me! This rascal is telling lies to you about me! Send him out of the house!"

Krishna countered her."Don't try to act, Rohini! The poor boy is too good to complain about you! He is extremely tolerant and good-natured. I've come to know what you do with him from other quarters too."

Rohini shot back:"If you believe that your nephew is so tolerant, send him to work under your relative Sitaram! He'll be better off there! I can't look after your nephew any longer!"

Krishna became angry.He replied:"Why should he go there? He'll be with us only!"

Rohini became agitated.She shouted,"Then, let me leave this house!"

Sekhar hd to intervene to pacify the quarelling couple."Uncle! please don't quarrel with aunty on my count.I'll rather go to uncle Sitaram's house at once!"

Krishna was too furious to speak. After sometime, when he had cooled down,it occured to him that the idea was not altogether bad. Atleast, Sekhar would be able to eat two square meals a day insted of often starving.

Sitaram was a niceman in earlier times. After his retirement, he got bored by sitting idle in the house. His wife Arundhati and his sons where busy with their own work and hence couldnot spare any time for him. Sitaram felt neglected and hence gave vent to his annoyance at everyone. Being unable to put up with his nagging, Arundhati appointed a servant to look after his personal needs. But this made matters worse. Sitaram felt let down by his own family and harassed the servant, He soon left their service. Arundhati engaged several servants thereafter, but none stuck to the job. She was now badly in need of a servant who whould be patient enought to work under her ever-nagging husband. Krishna was aware of this, but the only consolation was that Sekhar would atleast not starve. So, he decided to send Sekhar to SItaram's house.

Initially, it was a bit difficult for Sekhar to put up with hte tantrums of Sitaram. Gradually, he got used to them. He showed utmost patience in dealing with his new master. Verysoon, Sitaram started liking Sekhar. Arundhati felt much relieved and she was so pleased with the boy that she gave him sumptuous food. She took care of all his needs and treated him as a member of her own family.

One day, a hermit visited thier house,Greatly pleased with thefamily, the hermit said:" I want to be bless all of you. Please come one by one and tell me your wishes. I shall praay to god to grant you your wishess."

They went to him one by one and spoke out their wishes. Arindhati desired a long married life. The sons wanted to lead properous lives,Sitaram wanted that all should bestow their best attention on him.When everyone's turn was over,Arundhati called Sekhar and asked him to express his wish.

Sekhar knelt before the hermit and prayed to him: " O holy man I want my master to have a long and healthy life. he should be contented as he was once upon a time. He should become a lovable person."

All others , including the hermit, were astounded on listening to sekhar. The hermit stroked his back fondly and said " My dear boy! when all otherss have asked for the fulfilment of their personal wishes, what makes you only pray for the sake of your master? Dont you have any personal wish of your own?

" O holy man!" said sekhar , his voice choked with emotioon. " I consider him my god! I owe my very existence in this house to him. Every morsel of food I get in this house is because of him. Nothing in the world would I seek other than his welfare!"

Dear boy,"cautioned the hermit "dont you realise that once your wish gets fulfilled and he becomes normal, you might lose your job in this house? Have you thought of that?"

"It doesn't matter!" said Sekhar."Even if I'm asked to leave his service, I would 'not mind. I would always recollect the happy days I spent with him. His welfare is most important to me."

Sitaram was overwhelmed. He held Sekhar 's hands and said," Never will I ask you to leave my house you aren't my servant any longer. From this day , you are my third son.And you 'll be with me for ever".. He hugged Sekhar and wept like a child.

No comments: