Thursday, April 12, 2007

Change of heart

There was a very big lake in a forest. All the animals of the forest used to come to that lake to drink water from it. One day a hunter came to that lake. He bathed in it and drank the sweet water of the lake to quench his thirst. The hunter was very hungry as he hadn't eaten anything for the last so many days. He thought "The animals living in this forest will definitely come to this lake to drink water. And this will enable me to get a prey for myself easily," thinking this the hunter climbed a tree and sat on it.

Soon after, a female deer came to drink water from the lake. The hunter saw her, drew an arrow from his quiver and poised it on the bowstring. The female deer saw him doing this and was terribly frightened. She said, "Brother, hunter! I know I cannot save my life by running away from here; but I beseech you to have mercy on me. The two fawns, my young ones, must be waiting for me. Please allow me to go for the time being, and I promise that I shall come back to you after feeding the fawns and handing them over to a female deer who is a friend of mine."

The hunter laughed. It was beyond logic for him that the female deer would return to him despite knowing that he would kill her. But then he thought "I must allow her to go keeping in view the promise made by her. And if I am destined to get a prey, I shall get another one." He allowed her to go.

Just a little after the female deer had left, a beautiful looking male deer with hig horns came to the lake to drink water from it. The hunter was about to release his arrow when the male deer saw him. He said, "Brother, hunter! It's hours since I have been away from my wife and the young ones. They must be getting nervous and eagerly awaiting my return. Do kindly allow me to go so that I may go and see them and explain to them the situation. And it's a promise that I shall return to you after that. But, kindly allow me to go for the time being."

This irritated the hunter very much. He was almost on the point of starvation. He thought for some time and then consoled himself by saying "I must allow the male deer also to return. If I am destined to starve today, I must."

The female deer came to her fawns, fed them and let the fawns snuggle close to her for some time. Then she took them to another female deer, who was her close friend, and explained the situation to her. Meanwhile, the male deer also came there with tears welled up in his eyes. He also poured all his affection on them and then prepared to leave. But the fawns were not ready to part with their parents. Ultimately, the male and female deer, having no alternative, had to agree to take the fawns also along with them.

Reaching near the lake, the male deer said to the hunter, "Brother hunter! We all have come. Now you may kill us and assuage your hunger."

The hunter was extremely surprised to see the truthfulness of the innocent animals. He climbed down the tree and began theinking "How truthful are these deer despite being animals. They have returned tome, just to keep their word, without caring for their lives. And I, despite being a human being, am so sinful that in order to assuage my hunger, kill these innocent and mute animals. Now I take a vow that I shall not kill any animal from today.

The hunter broke his bow and threw it away. Just then a celestial car, moving in the air with gods and angels in it, landed on the ground there. One angel said to the hunter, "Hunter! these deer have atoned for their sins by having observed truthfulness. They will go to heaven. You too have atoned for your sins by having had mercy on these innocent animals. You will also be taken to heaven along with them."

Then the female and male deer were transformed into the forms of god along with the fawns. The hunter also was transformed into a god. It was their truthfulness and mercy that enabled them to go to heaven alive.

No comments: